Why write this blog

My photo
It is a way of giving my other self, my unconscious and perhaps artistic self, a way of expressing itself, and thereby helping me working things out. It is somewhat cathartic in a positive way. :)

21 December, 2013

Deciding Moments II

I always meant to follow up on the first post called Momentous Decisions, can't believe that well over a year has past since. Don't really know why I haven't, I mean Summer 2012 and indeed most of 2012 was not one of my better years but I guess at the bottom of it there was perhaps a fear to examine things too much in my adult life.
Don't even know where to begin, I guess chronologically and what I remember, because they'll be the ones that matter.

Well, at the age of 17, fresh out of school and applying to university for the first time wishing to do Medicine as I had always wanted since I was 6. I suppose even at the time it was so incredibly hard to get the required average that you couldn't take it too seriously, possibly, but certainly the decision to play a computer game with my friend instead of revising for the national exam (específica de biologia) was momentous and a critical lack of responsibility, both me and him have laughed somewhat awkwardly about that day, it was crazy.

I then went and got my first job an indeed I did very well, I was working in the export department. I don't recall exactly the sequence if events but I believe I was getting to the end of my contract and the company were deciding whether to keep me or not as I had made a big fuss about applying for university that year. Well, my revision was poor at best, revising whilst watching football is not the best idea (Euro 96 was on I believe) but, at work, I decided to write this letter to my line manager outlining the pros and cons of keeping me. I was advised that that was probably not the best idea and it turned out they did not offer me a new contract. Was it the letter? I'll never know but certainly if I had stayed there life would have turned very differently.

No comments: