Why write this blog

My photo
It is a way of giving my other self, my unconscious and perhaps artistic self, a way of expressing itself, and thereby helping me working things out. It is somewhat cathartic in a positive way. :)

27 February, 2010

Happiness

"When were you at the most happiest?"

As I heard this question I could not help but think back on my life and reflect upon which times I have been happiest.

And even though I am entirely convinced that happiness is a frugal and deceiving concept, which can only be measured in terms of moments and instants in time, I did immediately identified a few of those times in my mind.

I was at my happiest when I was promoted at my first job, all the way back in 1995 at the beginning of my adult life and I thoroughly enjoyed what I was doing then as an Export Marketing Assistant.

Immediately after that was my time at university, particularly my second year, where the people iI had met during my first year had become my friends and I had a grand time, living with people that became my best friends, in the city centre where our house was more often than not the meeting point for several nights and days of fun, and enjoying university and the potential that the future could hold, when all was open to possibilities and anything that could happen was at least more than a year away. The fact that I had fallen in love, truly, for the first time may have also contributed to that sense of freedom, realisation and genuine belief in the future that year.

To a certain extent, the last few months I have also been at the happiest I have been for quite some time, for varying reasons, but on the back of some poorly few months it is difficult to evaluate the last times objectively.

I can recall several moments of happiness, and these can happen at any time, any time at all, even if and when your life may not been going quite the way it should be.

As Carrie was told in the Sex & The City film "You will laugh again when something really really funny happens." which is so very true. We have a great capacity for compartmentalisation and adaptation!

As they say, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"...

No comments: