Why write this blog

My photo
It is a way of giving my other self, my unconscious and perhaps artistic self, a way of expressing itself, and thereby helping me working things out. It is somewhat cathartic in a positive way. :)

27 November, 2012

The past shapes us

I told my friend that I was reading this thing the other day, that made me realise a lot of why I am the way I am, I may have suspected it but never thought of it that way or so clearly.

It was actually in an otherwise funny website, where they write stuff like the best 5 movie endings, or technology you wouldn't believe it's real, but there's this one guy that writes loads about things that have happened to him, and one of the articles was something like: "5 things about you that shows you come from a dysfunctional family" and I swear at least I could see myself in two of those and possibly a third one.

All this to say that I never fully realised how much growing up in that environment shaped what I am, good and bad, it was revealing and disturbing, it explained and it left me with the certainty that I'd had issues and wondering whether I still have them and whether I should, sometime, need therapy to properly confront and overcome them.

That and confirming the fact, without a shadow of a doubt now, that I came from a dysfunctional family. I always knew, and know the issues, but it is also true that growing up a lot of things you just think are normal, aren't. Not the beatings of course, or the shouting, but other more subtle things that you didn't think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A parte boa é a de que nós podemos fazer as nossas escolhas e não nos deixarmos condicionar pelo que supomos ser a "normalidade".

M