Why write this blog

My photo
It is a way of giving my other self, my unconscious and perhaps artistic self, a way of expressing itself, and thereby helping me working things out. It is somewhat cathartic in a positive way. :)

02 January, 2010

2010

It's a new year. Anew decade. But it's also just a number. Some more time of our existence which we have attributed importance due to an archaic calendar construction, based loosely on events that used to have meaning, like the moon cycles, the sun cycle, harvest time and others that we have lost knowledge of.

This may sound a little pessimistic, but I like to call it pragmatic. There's nothing with celebrating a new year, but I simply find that it holds far less significance that what it's advertised and preached for by the media. It's another excuse for a holiday, consumerism and waste.

I don't have anything against big parties and I suppose it's kinda positive that the whole world joins in celebration (albeit at different times of the day depending on which time zone they're in, which I find in itself ironic!).

It's the same with Christmas and Father's Day and Mother's Day and Valentine's Day. They're days creating by big multinationals to convince us to spend money. I don't need specific days of the year to be good to my family and my friends. Don't need an excuse to buy someone a present, don't need somebody to tell me that I have to remember my dad, or my mum, or my family, or my partner on a specific day of the year. Each and every one of us already has that, it's called our birthday. And what about the rest of the year? Do we just forget all about it? Are we excused from it?

Generosity and affection don't need marked days on the calendar. You either exercise or not. Daily, on your everyday life. Show compassion. Understanding. Give love to people around you.

I truly if we all forgot a little bit about the media and convention and all the things forced upon us form outside and concentrated that little bit harder on the smaller and finer details of life, on the people we speak to every day, whom we can have an effect on, then this world would be much simpler, our lives much richer, and ourselves much happier.




No comments: