Why write this blog

My photo
It is a way of giving my other self, my unconscious and perhaps artistic self, a way of expressing itself, and thereby helping me working things out. It is somewhat cathartic in a positive way. :)

19 October, 2009

Surreal

A funny thing happened to me two nights ago.

Somebody added me as a friend on facebook. I didn't know who the person was, but I recognised the name, I'm sure I had seen it somewhere. And indeed I had.

It turns out that it was the friend of one my readers, someone I respect very much. A few moments and a message later and we were chatting via facebook. It was very surreal to have struck a friendship and indeed be talking to someone that had only read a few of my posts I had written elsewhere and that was actually a friend of a fellow blogger, one that I respect very much.

It struck me how small this little planet of ours can be. This internet really can bring people together, and I truly feel like I'm a part of this thing that I have heard bandied about, called the "blogosphere". There are only a few blogs I follow, and already I can identify a handful of people, it's like a little community. I'm sure I'll follow a lot more eventually, I mean, I've only started paying attention to blogs a couple of  months ago when I started my own.

Incidentally, and independently of the blog, I have also become friends with somebody very far away. In Ukraine of all places. We are just getting to know each other.

It amazes me that we have this ability to share and be so close with someone so far away. Of course there has always been letters and the internet has been around for a number of years, but it is only now I am starting to see the full implication of it. I think it is the immediacy of it that has surprised me.

Funny world that we live in...

No comments: